Multilingualism and migration in Mediterranean Europe
At the end of MERIDIUM, the European research project on multilingualism in Europe, the MERIDIUM International Conference will be held at the University for Foreigners of Perugia, from 23rd to 25th November 2011.
The Conference will focus on the discussion of the MERIDIUM project results, achieved by 7 research teams from 6 countries of southern Europe, that have gathered qualitative and quantitative data on national and local language policies supporting linguistic diversity and on perceptions and social attitudes related to multilingualism. A special attention has been paid to “new linguistic minorities” connected to recent and still ongoing migration flows in the area. The field research - which is the heart of the project – involved a total of over 3800 subjects, among pupils and parents of the fifth grade in 70 primary schools. In addition to MERIDIUM research groups, many invited speakers will take part in the Conference, from both academic world and European institutions, in order to discuss a wide range of issues related to multilingual societies. A poster session will be dedicated to ongoing researches and projects.
Conference programme in pdf
- Poster session
It is also possible to register and pay the appropriate conference fee the first day of the Conference (Registration Form [pdf]).
Deadline for registration has been postponed to October 31st 2011.
Free admission for university and PhD students (registration form required). All University students attending the conference can earn 1 credit (CFU).
- Invited speakers
- Andrei Avram, University of Bucharest, Romania, MERIDIUM Quality Control Board member (CV)
- Louis-Jean Calvet, University of Provence d'Aix-en-Provence, France, MERIDIUM Quality Control Board member
- Antoinette Camilleri Grima, University of Malta, Malta [abstract]
- Anna Ciliberti, University for Foreigners of Perugia (CV)
- Ingrid Gogolin, University of Hamburg, Germany, MERIDIUM Quality Control Board member
- Federica Venier, University of Bergamo, Italy, MERIDIUM scientific consultant.
- Research Groups Presentations
University for Foreigners of Perugia. Sociolinguistic research. Survey design and main characteristics of the transnational sample, by Stefania Tusini.
University of Primorska. MERIDIUM Group, by Lucija Çok, Maja Zadel.
University of Malta. MERIDIUM Group, by Sandro Caruana, Alexandra Vella.
University of Cluj-Napoca. MERIDIUM Group, by Dan Chiribuca
Transilvania University of Brasov. MERIDIUM Group, by Liliana Coposescu, Gabriela Cusen.
University for Foreigners of Perugia. Gruppo MERIDIUM, by Stefania Scaglione.
Nova University of Lisbon. MERIDIUM Group, by Maria Isabel Tomás.
University of Salamanca. MERIDIUM Group, by Manuel Heras García, María Mar Soliño Pazó, Vicente González Martín.
- Scientific Commitee
- Stefania Giannini, University for Foreigners of Perugia, Italy
- Sandro Caruana, University of Malta, Malta
- Dan Chiribuca, University Babeş-Bolyai, Romania
- Lucija Çok, University of Primorska , Slovenia
- Liliana Coposescu, Transilvania University of Brasov, Romania
- Vicente González Martín, University of Salamanca, Spain
- Stefania Scaglione, University for Foreigners of Perugia, Italy
- Maria Isabel Tomás, New University of Lisbona, Portugal
- Conference secretariat
International Relations Office
University for Foreigners of Perugia
How to reach us
List of conventioned Hotels
Information and contacts:
Under the patronage of: